Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A Public Service

I am now the insufferably pleased owner of the special (abridged) creationist edition of Charles Darwin's "On the Origin of Species," with special introduction by Ray "Bananaman" Comfort.

In a bit of irony, the local coffee shop decided to close at six due to spring break at the local university, so our freethinkers group had to meet at the backup location. I was extremely early, so I was looking at the stack of books they had in the lounge area to kill time. I saw a red cover that was oddly familiar.

Somebody had apparently deposited this little gem like the world's biggest Chick Tract. I debated what to do. Should I rip out the introduction as a public service? No, the fact that Ray Comfort deleted significant sections of the book would leave it useless. Should I steal it? After all, it would be to prevent harm to others, and was likely left here for anyone to find. No, I don't know that to any acceptable degree. It might almost be justified to myself, but I doubt everyone would affirm my actions.

So, after a couple of moments, I decide to be upright and honest. I take it up to the counter, order a coffee, a chocolate egg, and what would they accept in return for this fine volume? I'm rather pleased that not a penny of my money will find its way to Living Waters Ministries.

No comments:

Post a Comment